Topic: Building Large Numbers
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 29, 2013 11:27 AM

William Elliot

Re: Building Large Numbers

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, alal112358@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks for the facts. I have made many such "discoveries" in maths, only to
> find that somebody had already discovered it long before me. Maybe a Ph.D.
> is useful in learning what has already been discovered, so you can build on
> that and make new discoveries.

Congratulations! You have independently verified William's Metatheorem:
whatever math I dream up is already old hat.

> I thought of something else relating to very large numbers. What are the
> largest few physically meaningful numbers? I believe that there are 10^80
> protons in the universe. I further believe that according to some new
> untested/untestable physics there maybe as many as 10^500 universes in the
> multiverse. I would also like to know the total number of possible
> configurations of matter and energy through time in our universe.

When you've figured that out, you'll have also figured
out the smallest physically meaningful positive number.

What is the largest infinite cardinal needed for mathematics
other than the esoteric study of the unreachable cardinals?
aleph_(omega_0)?