Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jul 5, 2013 1:27 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
att1.html (2.6 K)

On Jun 29, 2013, at 4:04 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> Logic is that which seeks to understand the "laws of thought", independent of subject matter. So if
> we agree that the following is logical:

I would say the "laws of proof" rather than the "laws of thought". Thought is based on many elements and "logic" is just one of those elements. To say that one "thinks logically" is to say that one applies the rules of logic to their conclusions. Not just the final ones, even the little ones along the way. But the majority of "thought" is in the space between those conclusions and it is not "logic". It is instinct, intuition and habits of mind, for lack of better terms. But logic plays an important role in developing those skills. Think of logic as a harsh environment to which your instinct, intuition and habits of mind must evolve and adapt to.

The statements of mathematics (its conclusions) are logical, but mathematics itself is much much more than just its statements.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
6/28/13
Read Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
stefen
7/1/13
[...]
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Louis Talman
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/13
[...]
Anna Roys
[...]