GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?

Wayne Bishop posted Jun 30, 2013 1:55 AM (GSC's remarks follow):

> At 07:34 PM 6/28/2013, GS Chandy wrote:
>

> >[Insofar as I have understood your approach to
> >changing such

<snip>
> His point was there is plenty of real research on
> effective teaching
> and learning of reading and, by extension, teaching
> and learning of
> mathematics. Reflecting the unprofessional nature of
> the industry,
> most of our our colleges of education ignore it
> completely in
> deference to their "research-based", "authentic"
> convictions that is
> far closer to religion than to research.

(The comments below are written by GSC as an 'outsider' to the US educational system. Their validity [if any] will depend entirely on appropriate stakeholders in the US education system examining and confirming/modifying them).

Quite possibly Mr Reid Lyon's (and/or the other person's) contentions about the inadequacies of the colleges of education are justified.

Possibly there is plenty of 'real research [being conducted] on effective teaching and learning of reading and, by extension, teaching and learning of mathematics'. (I have not seen this research - but I do wish to pose a question: Does this research identify one or more real problems with the state of education - and does it then suggest any practical way[s] to tackle some or all of those problems? [If it does not do that, the research may not be 'really' worth much]).

Almost certainly, your US colleges of education are nowhere near "as good as they can be". Are they making genuine efforts to become "as good as they can be"? (If they are not making such efforts, then they are failing to do something that is essential for any such institution).

It surely is wrong of the colleges of education 'to ignore this real research into teaching' (if they are indeed doing so). If this charge is justified, then they clearly are NOT making the needed efforts to become "as good as they can be".

It is possible that the colleges of education may be hewing to some attitudes that are 'closer to religion' than to 'scientific education'.

All that accepted, the prescriptions to "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION" and to "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" are profoundly mistaken as possible cures (and they are based on a completely wrong diagnosis of the illness). I have in earlier posts indicated why they are mistaken.

Such statements may be OK if they comes from a layperson or a frustrated parent of a student who is not being taught to learn effectively. It is NOT OK for 'experts' in the field of education to make such prescriptions (even satirically or in jest). 'Experts' who make such prescriptions do need to learn to respect the field of education somewhat more.

(By the above argument, I do not mean to imply that the 'colleges of education' are adequately respecting their field of endeavour - which they are clearly not doing if they aren't striving "to be the best they can be").

GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message