Topic: Charlwood Fifty test results
Replies: 16   Last Post: Sep 19, 2013 10:09 PM

Albert D. Rich

From: Hawaii Island
Registered: 5/30/09
Re: Charlwood Fifty test results

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:53:22 AM UTC-10, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> On 7/6/2013 3:32 PM, Albert Rich wrote:
>> On problem 10, I entered the integrand as
>>
>> x^3*exp(1)^arcsin(x)/sqrt(1-x^2)
>>
>> whereas he probably entered it as
>>
>> x^3*exp(arcsin(x))/sqrt(1-x^2)
>>
>> Because of some bazaar quirk in Maple, it succeeds in integrating the former and not the latter!

> That is interesting. I wonder how you discovered this. It would
> never have occurred to me to try that.

It would never have occurred to me either. But the program I wrote that translates the problems from Mathematica to Maple syntax, translates expressions of the form E^z to exp(1)^z. This is because for some inexplicable reason Maple does not define a constant for the base of the natural logarithms, but does for the imaginary unit and pi. Go figure...

Albert