Topic: Charlwood Fifty test results
Replies: 16   Last Post: Sep 19, 2013 10:09 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: Charlwood Fifty test results

"Nasser M. Abbasi" schrieb:

> On 7/6/2013 3:32 PM, Albert Rich wrote:
>

> > Nasser and I agree that Maple failed to integrate problem 9. On
> > problem 10, I entered the integrand as
> >
> > x^3*exp(1)^arcsin(x)/sqrt(1-x^2)
> >
> > whereas he probably entered it as
> >
> > x^3*exp(arcsin(x))/sqrt(1-x^2)
> >
> > Because of some bazaar quirk in Maple, it succeeds in integrating
> > the former and not the latter!
> > Perhaps some Maple aficionado can justify, or at least explain, this
> > phenomena...
> >

> That is interesting. I wonder how you discovered this. It would
> never have occurred to me to try that.
>
> I updated the table for the 10 integrals, I suppose it is fair to give
> this one to Maple now. I am using now Maple 17.01 (version just came
> out). So maple now has 9/10 as well.

Your choice is defensible since Charlwood employs true exponentiation
and not the exponential function in his paper. But it assumes special
knowledge of Maple and its quirks. A naive user who knows or discovers
that Euler's constant is not available would typically use EXP(...) and
not EXP(1)^(...), as is borne out by many sci.math.symbolic posts, I
think. Since Albert appeals to the "results a novice user would see" he
should then probably use EXP(...) rather than EXP(1)^(...).

I fear this quirk may bear on Maple's failure to do problem 62 from
Timofeev's Chapter 1 as well ...

Martin.