Topic: How to find a bounding line?
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 5:39 AM

Peter Percival

Re: How to find a bounding line?

ols6000@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> I have a N points (x_i, y_i). I want to find a bounding line y = ax + b, such that y_i - y(x_i) >= 0. x_i and y_i are positive integers; a, b and y are real,and x is an integer.
>
> y_i = i, and x_{i+1} > x_i for all i<N
>
> N is very large (100,000 - 1,000,000), so I'm looking for a method that is O(N) (or better).
>
> An ideas on how this line could be found, i e, how to determine a and b efficiently from the N data points?

If this can be restated as a 'find the convex hull of a finite set of
points' problem, then the references here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_hull_algorithms may be relevant.

--
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant