Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jul 9, 2013 4:09 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

Responding to Clyde Greeno's post of Jul 8, 2013 6:39 AM (Dr Greeno's post is pasted below my signature for reference):

As noted earlier, I am 'broadly in agreement' with most of your approach. I've checked out your web-pages:

- -- "The American Institute for the Improvement of
MAthematics LEarning and Instruction" (http://malei.org/index.html)
- -- "The Tulsa-OK Mathematical Literacy Project" (http://malei.org/mathliteracy.org/index.htm)
- -- "TULSA'S MALEI MATHEMATICAL LEARNING CLINIC" (http://malei.org/mathliteracy.org/clinic.htm)
- -- "The (MACS) Project for Teaching and Learning
Mathematics As Common Sense" (http://mathsense.org/index.html)
- -- "TULSA'S MALEI MATHEMATICAL LEARNING CLINIC" (http://mathsense.org/clinic.htm)

A couple of links did not work (they are, I believe, under development).

OK - as noted above, I 'agree broadly' with your approach, the underlying philosophy. I am NOT giving my full and unconditional agreement till I am more convinced that you are ACTUALLY doing/able to do what you're promising).

Are you in a position to guide, say, a student who wishes
"To understand, thoroughly, all topics of my math syllabus, and THEREBY to improve, very significantly, my results in my math exams, tests, quizzes" ??

Are you in a position to help, practically, a teacher who wishes "to become a 'first-rate' math teacher" (based on his/her current abilities as a teacher) -- Can you help him/her to put together an action plan for this Mission??

Are you in a position to help, say, a group of 'stakeholders' in US education (i.e. including students; teachers; parents; administrators; politicians; others) who wish "To improve, very significantly' the US public school system" ???

I am not able to see, from your web-pages just how you would help the respective stakeholder(s) noted above to accomplish any of the above-noted aims.

If I am mistaken, please accept my apologies - but do let me know just how you would accomplish any or all of the above - and do please have these potentialities reflected in your web-pages.

GSC

Clyde Greeno posted Jul 8, 2013 6:39 AM:

Message was edited by: GS Chandy