Topic: Number of permutations possible?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 5:18 PM

Derek Goring

Re: Number of permutations possible?

On Friday, July 12, 2013 6:47:06 AM UTC+12, ADS wrote:
> Sorry, I guess my post was not very clear. By "solve" I mean work out the exact expected value for every possible card that can be drawn in a given situation in order to determine the optimum play. The game is more like chess than traditional poker in that all players hands are completely known at all times and the remaining cards that can be drawn are always known as well. So if I want to determine if a given card should be played in spot A or spot B, the program in question would check all possible combinations of cards that can come after either play, store the values, and give an average score for each play. My concern is that the number of combinations that would have to be run is impractical.
>

> So the specific question is, how much computing power would it take to run a game program that has to check something like 3x10?? different moves? I know this is a vague question but I am just learning my first programming language. I have an idea of how to write a program to test every possible situation but am wondering if this is a total fools errand given how much processing will be required.

But if you know how to program it, then you must have the algorithm, so you should be able to work out how many steps there will be yourself. Just find the product of the upper limits of all the nested for-end loops.