Topic: Module 1's are out!
Replies: 22   Last Post: Jul 30, 2013 6:06 AM

GPJ

From: Broome County
Registered: 10/3/11
RE: Module 1's are out!

Hi All,
I made an outline to share with AMTNYS of relevant NTI topics. It's not very exciting but if you're interested I wanted to share what I have.
My biggest unanswered question is how to handle accelerated programs. Many algebra and grade 8 teachers were gathered yesterday to work on modules and the accelerated programs. Some of our take-aways:

1) The rigor of the modules would make compression/acceleration very difficult 6-8.
2) Acceleration would likely have an adverse effect on state provided growth scores, since a teacher's focus wouldn't entirely be on the grade level assessments.
3) Doubling up in the high school (taking Algebra + Geometry in 9th grade) was discussed as an option.
4) The sequence and content of the modules wasn't worrisome, but the depth and sometimes awkward instructional strategies would prove challenging.
5) The assessments would be difficult to be used as-is (this was discussed here in a different thread).

The teachers and I would be very interested in others opinions/strategies about these ideas.

Also, there are links to Dan Meyer's blog, where you can download and play the videos embedded in the modules, my computer had difficulty with the permissions/addons and so I uploaded them to a you tube channel if that would be of any interest.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqm07iMD34p6i_skgGfGgXw
All copyrights are intact and followed.
Thanks,

Gene Jordan