Topic: Speed up fairly short code
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jul 17, 2013 4:48 PM

Steven Lord

Re: Speed up fairly short code

"Eric Sampson" <ericDOTsampson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message
> <ks3jql$4jb$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

>> "Kobye " <kobye.bodjona@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > I have a code (script) of 462 lines. In parts, it uses the symbolic
>> > toolbox. It also makes calls to 3 other functions that I have written,
>> > that are already highly efficient.
>> >
>> > The code is a mechanical model (theory of elasticity) that describes
>> > two plates joined by adhesive. The model is very elegant in its
>> > formulation, but currently it is way too slow. I have the option of
>> > either discarding it, or massively speeding it up. I have reason to
>> > believe that large speed increases are feasible (similar models exist
>> > and have been used for sensitivity analyses in the literature).
>> >
>> > If anyone would like to help me find ways to speed it up, your help
>> > would be immeasurably appreciated. I will send you the code privately
>> > as I don't necessarily want it in the public domain.
>> >
>> > Kobye
>> >
>> > PS the main bottlenecks seem to be symbolic integrations of my
>> > Bernstein basis polynomials. I think that maybe the code could be sped
>> > up here by using the Matlab poly options, but I am totally unfamiliar
>> > with these.

>> Try converting that symbolic integration into numeric integration using
>> matlabFunction, FEVAL, or EVALIN (as shown in the Tips section of the
>> documentation page below) and INTEGRAL.
>>
>> http://www.mathworks.com/help/symbolic/matlabfunction.html
>>
>> --
>> Steve Lord

> Steve, do you think this type of situation could be detected by M-lint and
> highlighted in the Editor?

It might be detectable, but I don't think it should be reported. In some
cases, you actually want to perform the symbolic integration; in this case,
I think numeric integration would be sufficient for the OP's situation.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com