Topic: Math history, origin of the exponentiation/raised/power sign x^y?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jul 23, 2013 7:53 AM

G. A. Edgar

Re: Math history, origin of the exponentiation/raised/power sign x^y?

In article <ab0c8b99-4a31-4f42-bab6-b62c6e7e2ab0@googlegroups.com>,
<jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote:

> In what culture did it origin, and what is the earliest known use of ^ sign
> in math?
>
> Has it always had the the base to the left and exponent to the right?
> If find myself often write it the other way, but i am just confused i guess ;)

The earliest I recall was the computer language BASIC ... since
standard keypunches did not have the up-arrow sign they originally
wanted.

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/