Topic: Mathematics education on the arXiv?
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jul 29, 2013 10:57 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Mathematics education on the arXiv?

One crucial arena of math-ed that sorely needs *mathematical* attention by
competent mathematicians is perhaps best called, "Mathematical Knowledge for
Teachers' Education."
Perhaps it could be a sub-category. I am speaking about knowledge within
mathematical theories ... rather than mathematicians thoughts about
what/how mathematics should be taught [e.g. Wu's opinions about teaching
fractions].

For a *mathematical* example:
the commonly taught non-sense about the real-domain, real range, quadratic
function,
3(x-5)^2+7, having non-real solutions is self-contradictory (and
thoughtful students are troubled by it). The mistakenly asserted "complex
roots" are 5 [+/-]sqrt[-7/3], which makes no sense for real valued
functions of real variables.
BUT, when that parabola is vertically flipped over its vertex, its "image"
is
- - 3(x-5)^2+7, whose real-number solutions are 5 [+/-]sqrt[7/3] ... as
"image roots" for the original
Its not a new mathematical discovery, but it is important for teachers of
algebra (and of algebra-teachers) to know.

There probably are dozens of such MKTE insights that should be made
accessible to all teachers of core-curricular mathematics, ASAP. Indeed,
there is a nationally crucial need for mathematicians to mathematically
re-examine the mathematical foundations of core-curricular mathematics ...
and to collectively assemble a mathematically solid body of MKTE [e.g. math
majors who teach school mathematics should know the logic of converting
between decimals and percents].

I am personally ready to publish several such *mathematical* papers about
little known MKTE essentials, and to nurture collaborative development of a
library of such items. Some exemplary papers are available if they are
needed.