Topic: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Replies: 108   Last Post: Aug 16, 2013 5:22 PM

JT

Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?

Den fredagen den 2:e augusti 2013 kl. 19:38:23 UTC+2 skrev David Bernier:
> On 08/02/2013 06:49 AM, Richard Tobin wrote:
>

> > In article <85ffb478-968f-4de6-9284-b1e53fc19f0d@googlegroups.com>,
>
> > <jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> But one 1/phi is not a rational ratio, but the 1/6 hexagon (center to
>
> >> vertex/sum of sides) is and so is all polygons derived from multiplying
>
> >> the vertices.
>

> > You were claiming that pi is rational. It is not.
>

> > -- Richard
>

> This jogged my memory about Lagrange and irrational numbers.
>
> Lambert was the first to prove the irrationality of pi:
>
> in 1761,
>

> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_that_%CF%80_is_irrational > .
>

> Lagrange showed that if x > 0 is rational, then sin(x)
>
> is irrational.
>

> Ref.: (from sci.math in 2011)

> In Jean-Guillaume Garnier's
>
> "Analyse algebrique, faisant suite a la premiere section de l'algebre",
>
> 1814,
>

> pages 538 and 539, he mentions Lagrange and C. Haros.
>
> He writes that Lagrange showed that, if x > 0 is a rational
>
> number, say x = p/q with gcd(p, q) = 1, then
>
> sin(x) is irrational.
>

> This uses the Taylor series:
>
> <snip>

> d.b. in sci.math, http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7364740
>

> sin(pi) = 0 is rational. pi>0.
>

> If we assume Lagrange's result:
>
> x>0, x rational ==> sin(x) is irrational,
>
> then we can conclude that pi must be irrational.
>

> david
>

> --
>
> On Hypnos,
>
> http://messagenetcommresearch.com/myths/bios/hypnos.html

Honestly i think i may have solved it alot earlier than that, problem when young is to realise who is a halfwit and who isn't.

It may have ended up with some retarded Nasa employed, i just don't know.

Date Subject Author
7/30/13
Read Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Tucsondrew@me.com
7/31/13
[...]
LudovicoVan
7/31/13
[...]
8/1/13
[...]
8/3/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
grei
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/4/13
Read the surfer's value (Nicholas de Cusa proved that pi was
transcendental in the 15th cue (http://21stcenturysciencetech.com
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/4/13
Read Re: the surfer's value (Nicholas de Cusa proved that pi was
transcendental in the 15th cue (http://21stcenturysciencetech.com
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Tucsondrew@me.com
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation? NO!
Virgil
8/1/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
8/1/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal
representation?
Peter Percival
8/1/13
[...]
Richard Tobin
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal
representation?
David Bernier
8/2/13
[...]
8/16/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Earle Jones
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
RGVickson@shaw.ca
8/2/13
[...]
quasi
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
8/16/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Earle Jones
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Phil H