Topic: A theory is our best attempt to explain something
Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 4, 2013 12:50 AM

Tom Potter

Re: A theory is our best attempt to explain something

"Sam Wormley" <swormley1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> For John... and others.
>
> A theory is our best attempt to explain something in the real world,
> based on what we currently know.
>
> A theory is an explanation.
>
> A theory is an explanation, based on our current understanding of
> the real world.
>
> A theory is not ?xed and unchanging--it can continue to evolve and
> improve, as we discover new facts about the real world.

Theory is NOT singular.

As "our current understanding of the real world."
is not exactly your
"current understanding of the real world."

"our" theory will not be exactly the same as
"your" theory.

The best theories serve as tools
that allow people to effeciently
design, construct, trouble shoot and repair things

The worst theories are unused and rarely used theories
hyped by lazy, impractical people
who pretend to possess powerful, esoteric knowledge
for the purposes of obtaining OPM ( Other people's money).

In his book Gulliver's Travels,
Jonathan Swift depicted the people of Laputa as air heads,
fond of mathematics, astronomy, music and technology,
but incapable of doing anything practical.

They were unable to construct well-designed clothing or buildings,
because they took measurements with instruments such as quadrants.
I wonder how Swift would depict Einstein worshippers?

When the air heads take over,
the mechanics and electronics fall into disrepair,
and the toilets cease to work.

A good toilet is a terrible thing to waste.

--
Tom Potter

http://warp-to.us/
http://tiny.im/390k