Topic: Some derivative/continuity questions
Replies: 15   Last Post: Aug 5, 2013 9:47 AM

David Bernier

Re: Some derivative/continuity questions

On 08/04/2013 10:55 AM, G Patel wrote:
> On Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:48:12 AM UTC-4, Peter Percival wrote:
>> dullrich@sprynet.com wrote:

>>> Who told you that? It's not so.

>>> Yes or no, depending on the value of a and b.
>>

>> Oh dear, I forgot to mention that b is a positive odd integer, a is in
>>
>> (0,1) and ab is greater than something-or-other involving pi. I've
>>
>> forgotten the details--how embarrassing.

> What kind of calculus book did you read to learn about these exotic examples?

It's too advanced (in my opinion) to show the proof in a calculus text.

Maybe "Counterexamples in Analysis", 1964 has it ...

< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_function > .

david

--
abc?