Topic: Re: Learning for Understanding
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Learning for Understanding

What you wrote is what Wayne is referring to as "religion". Realists =
utilize observation, fact and reasoning to see the truth, while you, =
instead, spend your time making up a truth. In doing so, you chose =
truths that are *nicer* (to yourself) rather than more reasonable and =
certainly rather than more real. And, like all religion, you profess =
that the reason your truth isn't the observable truth is that the world =
is full of sinners and that these sinners *must* be dealt with.

Bob Hansen=20

On Aug 10, 2013, at 7:48 AM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is needed is a societal mindset to ensure that:
>=20
> - -- the Teacher Unions and Teacher Associations become effective =

means of representing the real interests of teachers (and not just means =
of 'opposing management' and 'gaining privileges for their members' =
[that would help ensure the office bearers are voted back into office]);
>=20
> - -- the schools of education get down to their real task of =

developing effective teachers for schools and universities;
>=20
> - -- parents and teachers both realize that children (at all levels) =

need to be ENCOURAGED (not PUSHED) to learn: if properly ENCOURAGED, the =
children will themselves learn how to PUSH themselves to learn (whatever =
it is that they do need to learn).
>=20
> Along with all of the above, the stakeholders of the educational =

systems need to understand the crucial importance of the educational =
system in the complex of systems that constitute society - and they need =
to learn how they should act to overcome the deficiencies and flaws of =
the existing educational systems.
>=20
> None of the above is going to be easy, given that we all have for =

generations and even aeons allowed ourselves to be lulled into the =
'comfortable', fundamental misconceptions that:=20
>=20
> - -- we (humanity) are the 'MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE'; and that=20
>=20
> - -- the planet was given to us by God to be our plaything. =20
>=20
> These are dangerous views of ourselves and of the world that have =

given to us by most religions. =20
>=20
> A little humility, a little thankfulness for the privilege of being =

alive - such could be the appropriate attitudes for us to assume if we =
wish to find our way out of the mess we've created on planet earth for =
ourselves (and for the rest of creation).=20

[Edited by: admin]