Topic: Re: Learning for Understanding
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 12, 2013 1:02 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Learning for Understanding

Wayne Bishop posted Aug 11, 2013 4:29 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9201315):
> At 09:12 PM 8/9/2013, GS Chandy wrote:
> >Wayne Bishop posted Aug 9, 2013 9:45 PM
> >(http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=91897

> 01):

<SNIP>
> Why not start with the easy questions such as, "How
> do we achieve
> permanent world peace?"?
>
> Wayne

I intuit that THAT may not be quite as easy as you make it out to be.

However: if it is something that specially interests you, please do feel free: it would be a productive goal. That is really what OPMS is all about: Freedom to choose (though I retain my own freedom to choose personally NOT to assist people who wish to apply it to what I believe are non-constructive ends).

If you have ever opened any of the literature I have been linking to from time to time, you may have observed that I had chosen this idea: "Democracy: how to achieve it?" (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536). I find that people may prefer to work on smaller, more 'down-to-earth' objectives.

Or - you might prefer to work on something like what you have already shown a special liking for:

"BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (A)

Alternatively you might prefer to take up Haim's famous slogan as your battle-cry:

"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (B)

Robert Hansen (RH) has shown a distinct prediliction for

"To PUSH (not ENCOURAGE) children to learn (math)" (other disciplines also, I'd judge) (C)

(Stuff like that - as noted, I may not wish to help on such as these).

However, the underlying idea is always to try to enable people choose their problems of interest and then to help them to work productively on those issues.

We have found that some prefer to work on *destructive goals*, such as 'A' and 'B'. Or on ideas that (to my mind) appear to contradict common sense (like 'C'). [As noted, I reserve my right NOT to help out on goals such as these].

I was recently reading about a Japanese quasi-religious cult called "Aum Shinrikyo" and its leader Shoko Asahara who launched a horrific sarin gas attack on the Tokyo Underground (in 1995, I understand). Had they come to me while they were planning the attack, I would not have aided them.

To revert to the idea of 'world peace', which seems to have aroused your interest, I would judge that we humans do first need to work on directly enhancing the trust in 'common sense' and on 'improving critical thinking'. World Peace may (or may not) follow. Anyhow, it does seem to be a productive goal and I shall be happy to help out in my limited way.

GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message

Message was edited by: GS Chandy