Topic: Re: Learning for Understanding
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Learning for Understanding

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Aug 13, 2013 8:08 PM:

> On Aug 12, 2013, at 10:09 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > As the 'realist nonpareil', the original member of
> the club that believes "Children must be PUSHED (not
> ENCOURAGED) to learn math" we shall all immediately
> adopt your wonderful slogan and use it to PUSH (not
> ENCOURAGE) everyone to do everything. (This is not
> religion, of course).
>
> Correct, it isn't religion. It is what we observe. It
> is why there are coaches. It is human nature, the
> real variety, not the hoped for one.

I congratulate you on your fabled "powers of observation" that have led you to the remarkable conclusion that:

"Children must be PUSHED (and not ENCOURAGED) to learn math"
(I've taken the liberty to call this the Robert Hansen Theory of Learning - 'A').

Permit me to observe (using my meagre powers of observation) that I'm not at all convinced by your fabled powers of observation.

I (and quite a few others apart from me*) have in fact observed that students learn most effectively when the 'Natural Learning Theory' (B) is applied, namely:

Children learn most effectively when they are ENCOURAGED to learn (math, or anything else). They will then learn how to PUSH themselves to overcome the many barriers and difficulties they will confront.

(*A simple Google search gets us more links than I can count showing that 'B' works - in practice, on the ground - and that your philosophy 'A' does NOT work at all.

(I'd be most keen to find just who that 'we' of yours may comprise of.

(In fact, I have not yet found a single reference suggesting that 'A' works in practice, on the ground with real students.

(Of course, you are entirely free to hold on to your antediluvian philosophy of teaching and learning 'A')

Therefore: with due apologies to you (and to your cohorts and consorts) I shall continue to suggest to all and sundry (including the math teachers that I may encounter) that the way to go is 'B', and not 'A' at all.

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy