Topic: How do I find an approximate function given just an interval?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 13, 2013 2:30 PM

James Waldby

Re: How do I find an approximate function given just an interval?

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:22:45 -0700, seimarao wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:44:03 +0100, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>>seimarao@gmail.com writes:
>>> Curiously, whats the Real Number Line in terms of a function ?
>>>
>>> Its an interval in a loose way. It has a singular piece of math science
>>> in the annals.
>>>
>>> Perhaps, whats missing in the solution to the OP is the same.
>>>
>>> Mapping of an Interval to a Function primarily has been "computed",
>>> not done. "Computed" immediately meant taking recourse to
>>> Numerical Analysis but what about the "done" or "doing" part ?
>>>
>>> What recourse does one take here?

>>I am sorry, but I don't understand any of these questions.

> All I have been wanting to know is the branch of Maths
> that starts with a few intervals and figures out accurate functions.
>
> You have helped me in understanding that there are multiple functions,
> but what I was interested in was something more complicated theory
> if at all it was invented by someone to parallel Numerical Analysis.
>
> For the OP, M number of functions fit. Thanks to everyone :-)
>
> But, going ahead then that is to determine a single function.
>
> A bottom up approach that starts with intervals.
>
> I looked hard at the problem and stopped at Numerical Analysis only.

You may be using the word "interval" differently than its usual use in the
sci.math newsgroup. In most posts here, an "interval" is a contiguous
segment of the real number line. The domain of a function often is some
union of intervals (but of course can be any defined set). See
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_of_a_function> if you aren't familiar
with function terminology.

If you are using the word "interval" in the same sense as in the phrase
"interval arithmetic", <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_arithmetic>
may help.

--
jiw