Topic: Please help, I need professional advice.
Replies: 8   Last Post: Aug 17, 2013 10:15 PM

Roberta M. Eisenberg

Re: Please help, I need professional advice.

I agree. Do the people offering this idea realize that the kiddies would have to do double math HW every day, one for each class?

The end result of these ideas is often a bunch of students turned off to math.

In addition, the brain doesn't learn math (and foreign languages and playing instruments) in the same way as it does for many other subjects. Math requires little doses at a time.

I compare it to a dry sponge which can soak up only so much liquid. Once it is saturated, there is no way to squeeze in another drop until the sponge dries out.

In the same way, especially for 8th graders, their brains can accommodate only so much math per day. As we get older, those of us who stick with math develop the capacity to spend longer and longer periods of time doing it. But even then, we need a break, often overnight to sleep on it.

Bobbi

*