Topic: fyi, making animation into PDF file from images genenerated by Mathematica
Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 17, 2013 2:04 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: fyi, making animation into PDF file from images genenerated by Mathematica

Oh, yes, I used the default MacTeX viewer for the pdf, namely, the OS X Preview. Which is what, I imagine, most Mac users would use when viewing any pdf, whether one generated from TeX or not.

It does work as expected when I view the pdf in Acrobat Reader.

Any way to get this to work with Preview, too?

On Aug 16, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Eduardo M. A. M. Mendes <emammendes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> It worked on my mac pro.
>
> I guess you have used preview instead of Acrobat Reader. Am I right?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ed
>

> On Aug 16, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Murray Eisenberg <murray@math.umass.edu> wrote:
>

>> I just tried this under Mac OS X (adjusting the Export statement accordingly, of course). And after importing the xd3 into MeshLab then exporting it as a u3d, when i run the LaTeX file in pdflatex, I get a totally blank page.
>>
>> On Jun 6, 2013, at 11:18 PM, RBaillie <bobbaillie@frii.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> You can also create a pdf file with a 3D object that you can
>>> interactively rotate with your mouse.
>>>
>>> Here's how. First, create the Mathematica object:
>>>
>>> superSphere = ContourPlot3D[x^4 + y^4 + z^4 == 1,
>>> {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1}, Mesh->False];
>>> Export["C:\\junk\\supersphere.x3d", superSphere]
>>>
>>> Second, import the x3d file into the free software MeshLab, then
>>> export it as a u3d file.
>>>
>>> Third, use the media 9 LaTeX package to import the u3d file into pdf:
>>>
>>> \usepackage[english]{babel}
>>> \usepackage{media9}
>>>
>>> \includemedia[
>>> width=0.9\linewidth, height=0.9\linewidth,
>>> activate=pageopen,
>>> 3Dmenu,
>>> 3Daac=60.0, 3Droll=0.0, 3Dc2c=10.0 -3.0 10.0,
>>> 3Droo=3.0, 3Dcoo=0.0 0.0 0.0,
>>> 3Dlights=CAD, % display object without artificial colors
>>> %3Dlights=Primary, % colorize monochrome objects with R, G, B lights
>>> 3Drender=SolidWireframe
>>> ]{}
>>> {supersphere.u3d}
>>>
>>> Note: if the object looks inside out, you will have to go back into
>>> MeshLab and reverse the object's normals, then re-export it.

>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg
>> murray@math.umass.edu
>> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.