Topic: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the foundations
Replies: 13   Last Post: Aug 21, 2013 9:04 PM

William Elliot

Re: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the
foundations

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Lax Clarke wrote:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong please:
> This is the order of bootstrapping the foundations of mathematics:

Boot strapping has nothing to do with mathematics.
It's part of computer science.

> 1) Naive logic (like the ones the Greeks played with).
> 2) Use 1) to talk about Naive Set theory (like Halmos' book).
> 3) Use 2) above to define Mathematical Logic / First-Order Logic
> 4) Use 3) above to define axiomatic set theory.

A metalanguage is used to dacribe a formal language.