Topic: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the foundations
Replies: 13   Last Post: Aug 21, 2013 9:04 PM

William Elliot

Re: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the
foundations

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Peter Percival wrote:
> William Elliot wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Lax Clarke wrote:
> >

> > > Please correct me if I'm wrong please:
> > > This is the order of bootstrapping the foundations of mathematics:
> > >

> > Boot strapping has nothing to do with mathematics.
> > It's part of computer science.

> Bootstrapping is a metaphor which is surely common property. In year X some
> wit spoke of lifting himself by his own bootstraps. It's a fair bet that X
> long preceded the computer (computer as machine not computer as human
> calculator).

Lifting oneself by his boot straps is a historical
record of visiting aliens who levitated. When they
did, they would grab their ankles. Hence the
expression "Lifting oneself by his boot straps."

Subsequence, more recent alien visitors were primitive in comparison
to those historical visitors, for they didn't levitate but used old
fashion materialistic machines to move up, up and away.