GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: An inspiring story, about a real school for village children
near Bangalore

Further my post dt. Aug 27, 2013 4:23 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2592078):

> The Hindu of 25-Aug-2013, a leading newspaper in
> India, carries this story:
>
> "A day's labour is one month's fee here"
> http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/a-days-labour-is-
> one-months-fee-in-this-school/article5060044.ece

<snip>
QUOTE FROM HINDU STORY:
> >"The temple in the school is open to all. We told
> >students that they could touch the idol in the temple
> >only if they bathed. And our students started bathing
> >every day," said Mr. Channa. While finding teachers
> >for the school is a tough task, Mr. Channa is proud
> >that former students have offered to come back and
> >teach at the school.

UNQUOTE

<snip>
> (GSC): In regard to religion, I am an
> agnostic, so I do not know how much value there
> actually is for the children in the practice
> described in the last paragraph of the story - but I
> defer to Mr Raju's vision for the way he runs his
> school.

On a second reading of the story, I suddenly saw the significance of the 'lesson' that Mr Channa Raju was trying to teach the children by his rule that they could touch the idol if (and ONLY if) they had bathed that day.

So, despite my agnostic views, I do admire the way Mr Raju has linked up the religious beliefs of the village children (and their families) to practical daily hygiene issues. [I believe that this may well be an instance of the kind of lesson that Jesus might have tried to teach 2000 years ago].

GSC