Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Aug 27, 2013 4:05 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9236188):

> On Aug 26, 2013, at 8:25 PM, Richard Strausz

<snip>

> Dan and many of his readers do not understand
> algebra, and they have turned their angst with
> teaching it into a revolt against it. Their words and
> actions clearly indicate that this blog isn't as much
> for their student's benefit as it is for their own
> benefit. I showed you Kahn's site as an example of a
> site that brings the curriculum to the students. Kahn
> doesn't pervert and twist the subject around his own
> angst. The only feeling you get from Kahn is his
> enthusiasm for mathematics.
>
> I think you need to study more blogs in order to
> distinguish between the religious self serving blogs
> like Dan's and the student directed blogs like
> Kahn's. Or maybe it is religion you seek.
>
> Bob Hansen

With no claim or judgment about the understanding (or otherwise) that Dan and many of his readers may (or may not have) of ALGEBRA, ANGST and other such esoterica, I just wish to suggest:

1. There is no "Kahn", as claimed by RH (at least, not in respect of the teaching of ALGEBRA).

There ARE many Kahns, doing many other things but none is "into ALGEBRA", I believe.

2. In ALGEBRA, there is only "Khan". In particular, there is The "Khan Academy", which I believe is the one being lauded by RH for its prowess at ALGEBRA or the teaching thereof - https://www.khanacademy.org/ .

3. Kahn is a Germanic surname - see, for instance, Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahn, which states:

"NOT to be confused with Khan (name), which is a title and surname from Central Asia and South Asia; for other uses, see Khan (disambiguation)". (Emphasis GSC's).

As a matter of topical and particular interest, I observe that "Khan" is an Afghan (and N. Indian and Pakistani) surname belonging to tribes living in the wild regions of what was once the 'North West frontier' of India. The Khans are known to be a warrior people, excellent friends and truly fierce foes, quick to take offence at any misspelling or mispronunciation of their name, of which they are inordinately (and probably rightly) proud.

The Khan Academy, experts on ALGEBRA per RH and others, has been founded by one Salman Khan.

(There is another Salman Khan who is a superstar in Hindi films ('Bollywood'), but he need not detain us further at all, as I'm pretty certain he knows no ALGEBRA at all).

GSC
(Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy