Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 29, 2013 11:11 AM

Richard Strausz

> On Aug 28, 2013, at 8:53 AM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > 1. Is it at all possible to *teach* a student (any
> student) - *creative writing*?
> >
> > 2. If the teacher has created sufficiently

> imaginative and *creative* plays (which stimulate,
> perhaps excite, the students to *write creatively*),
> then I'd believe he has done something valuable.

> > 3. I'd not speculate on the teacher's reasons for

> adopting the strategy he does/did. So long as the
> students felt challenged, then I guess both teacher
> and students have gained something useful.

> > 4. I believe your 'analogy' or 'metaphor' has

> failed.
>
> So, you would teach creative writing by having the
> students act in plays, not by teaching them how to
> write. I think you are too focused on the word
> "creative" and not enough on the word "writing". Try
> this instead. Imagine "creative algebra". Surely you
> have seen creative algebra before. so do you think
> that, in creative algebra, the necessity of learning
> algebra is any less? Besides, if Dan was trying to
> excite his students about algebra, wouldn't his
> activities involve algebra? Richard suggested that he
> teaches algebra outside of these activities, but
> wouldn't that be even more reason for these
> activities to involve algebra?
>
> It amazes me that there exists 3 years of Dan's blogs
> as evidence to support my statements while Richard
> and yourself are basing your counter arguments on
> supposition.
>
> Bob Hansen

There exist up to 3 years of experiences that I and other real teachers have with some of Dan's stuff. I use his some of his geometry materials which supports what I do with my students. That runs counter to your statements of their worthlessness.

By the way, I haven't said anything critical about Khan. I am happy to 'steal' from anyone...

Richard