Topic: Averaging algorithm
Replies: 3   Last Post: Aug 30, 2013 10:58 AM

Default User

Averaging algorithm

Posted to both sci.math.num-analysis and sci.math.symbolic based on a
suggestion in sci.math. I will follow both groups if you'd like to
remove the crosspost.

I'm working on bit of code that does some data processing. I'd like
some input on developing the algorithm. This will effectively condense
a large set of data values to a smaller one.

The original data is the result of sampling a waveform. The processed
data should still represent that waveform, of course.

Input: 10,000 integer values.
Output: 1023 integer values.

There's nothing that can be done to change the input or output
requirements.

My current method is a bit brute force, using a moving window that
sometimes averages 10 raw values, sometimes 9, to derive the results.

I'm not overly happy with that, so if anyone has some more elegant or
efficient suggestions I'd be quite interested.

I had looked at data compression algorithms. I think those are really
overkill for what I need, plus some problems. My situation is not a
round-trip one. That is, it's not the case that I need to compress,
store or transmit, and then uncompress later.

The 1023 data points are the final format for the receiving device. So
I have to end up with that number of data points representing the
entire sampled waveform. The instrument can only provide certain
numbers of points.

It would be convenient if I could get the raw data as 1023 points, but
that's not an option. In the range we want to work in, I can get 1000
or 10,000. So we go up a range and average the results.

Brian