Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 30, 2013 11:51 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Wayne Bishop (WB) posted Aug 30, 2013 1:13 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9240160):

>At 05:16 PM 8/28/2013, Robert Hansen wrote:

>> (RH) It amazes me that there exists 3 years of Dan's
>> blogs as evidence to support my statements while
>> Richard and yourself are basing your counter arguments >> on supposition.

> (WB) "Supposition" is literally more accurate but >"religious conviction" comes closer to giving a more
> accurate feel for the situation. Haim's "Education
> Mafia", if you will, have been preaching this
>anti-education in the name of education gospel for >decades.

You've got it EXACTLY right! 'Religion' is the word... Haim has been preaching "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (A) for all those decades... to what effect?

YOU have been preaching "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (B) for probably the same number of decades...to what effect, precisely?

(By the way, I am NOT at all on what you've named the 'anti-education brigade'. You and your opponents appear to be all equally incompetent).

The ONLY things needed to do are to:

- -- gather together all the good ideas needed to overcome the ills of your education system - also throwing out the bad ideas meanwhile (e.g., 'A; and 'B' above-noted) and

- -- *integrate* all available ideas into an *effective* Action Plan to develop effective educational systems for your needs.
(Words enclosed within *s - *---* - contain some meaning rather more than is found in the conventional dictionaries).

>Regarding teaching high school students who would be >top-notch writers, there is nothing better than >following - and studying, and striving (probably >unsuccessful but well worth the effort) toward >publication in - The Concord Review. Though almost >completely unknown by the powers-that-be in education, >Will Fitzhugh is the national treasure for precollegiate >education that Dan Meyer and Jo Boaler (and way too much >of the education world) believe themselves to be.
> http://www.tcr.org/
>Wayne

I know nothing about Mr/Dr/Professor Will Fitzhugh - shall endeavor to find out. I suspect that his ideas may not be very fruitful (if he happens to subscribe to the slogans 'A' or 'B' above - or anything derived from such stirring but actually vapid slogans).

I don't know enough about the ideas of Dan Meyer and/or Jo Boaler. I do suspect that neither of them has tried to create an Action Plan to overcome the current ills of your educations system(s).

Ah, but then, neither have you or Haim - I don't know about whether Mr/Dr/Professor Will Fitzhugh has thought in terms of doing anything like this entirely obvious thing.

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")