Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India

Further my earlier responseto Wayne Bishop's post dt. Aug 29, 2013 3:43 PM, which is copied below my signature for ready reference:

>Regarding teaching high school students who would be
> top-notch writers, there is nothing better than
>following - and studying, and striving (probably
>unsuccessful but well worth the effort) toward
>publication in - The Concord Review. Though almost
>completely unknown by the powers-that-be in education,
>Will Fitzhugh is the national treasure for precollegiate
>education

Slogan A: "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"
Slogan B: "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"

Subsequent to my earlier response( (dt. Aug 30, 2013 1:29 AM, http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2592561), I have found out who this Mr Will Fitzhugh is and I've also been through Mr Fitzhugh's ideas in a whole bunch of articles in the Concord Review and elsewhere (except for those for which some payment was demanded):

- --"ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA?" (http://educationviews.org/once-upon-a-time-in-america/);
- --"Scholars or Customers?" (http://educationviews.org/scholars-or-customers/)
- -- "Why Are We Afraid to Show Off Our Brightest Students?" [This was an article in the Atlantic Review] (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/09/why-are-we-afraid-to-show-off-our-brightest-students/262930/)
- --"American School Board Journal Q & A with Will Fitzhugh"- page not found - (http://www.asbj.com/TopicsArchive/QA/0912-QA.pdf)
- -- "In 'Assessing' Writing, Speed Kills," (Education Review) (http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2012/06/20/36fitzhugh.h31.html?tkn=MUYFH68UApq51PB9tFwonJy87lyaBNxDbh7T&cmp=clp-edweek)
- --"The term paper is disappearing" (The Chicago Tribune discusses the challenges of assigning HS research papers) (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-27/news/ct-met-research-papers-no-more-20120127_1_research-paper-term-paper-class-sizes)
- --"High School Flight from Reading and Writing" (Academic Questions features Will's article (they wanted US $40 for this document, and therefore I've declined to take it) - http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12129-011-9251-x
- --"Meaningful Work: How the History Research Paper
Prepares Students for College and Life" (http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducator/winter1112/Fitzhugh.pdf)

(After a casual readthrough of the documents to which I could get access):

I don't believe Mr Fitzhugh has actually come out openly with those famous slogans 'A' or 'B' - though doubtless they do underlie his 'ideas about education'.

However, Mr Fitzhugh has not actually written anything that leads me to believe he has anything like an answer to the woes of US education.

Contrary to Professor Bishop's faith ("Will Fitzhugh is the national treasure for precollegiate education"), he is, in fact, far from that. He has mouthed several splendid truisms. Nothing patently false or vicious or dangerous. But absolutely nothing that will 'rescue US (or any) educational systems from their 'slough of despond'.

Mr Fitzhugh has not, for instance, indicated just how the stakeholders in US education may *integrate* their good ideas (while eliminating their bad ideas) to create an effective Action Plan to serve the needs of US (or any other) education.

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")

Wayne Bishop posted Aug 29, 2013 3:43 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9240160):
At 05:16 PM 8/28/2013, Robert Hansen wrote:

> It amazes me that there exists 3 years of Dan's blogs as evidence to support my statements while Richard and yourself are basing your counter arguments on supposition.

"Supposition" is literally more accurate but "religious conviction" comes closer to giving a more accurate feel for the situation. Haim's "Education Mafia", if you will, have been preaching this anti-education in the name of education gospel for decades.

Regarding teaching high school students who would be top-notch writers, there is nothing better than following - and studying, and striving (probably unsuccessful but well worth the effort) toward publication in - The Concord Review. Though almost completely unknown by the powers-that-be in education, Will Fitzhugh is the national treasure for precollegiate education that Dan Meyer and Jo Boaler (and way too much of the education world) believe themselves to be.
http://www.tcr.org/

Wayne