Topic: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Sep 9, 2013 4:45 PM

lite.on.beta@gmail.com

Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 5:05:55 PM UTC-4, Ken Pledger wrote:
> In article <61d7b435-a7c5-4a04-bf2f-26b8f4b6cd13@googlegroups.com>,
>
> lite.on.beta@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > I remember in grade school (grade 8 or 9ish) we did geometry with vectors as
>
> > a tool but without any coordinate system.
>

> > We often picked a random point and called it O, then proved things like if M
>
> > was midpoint between two points A, B, then:
>

> > OM = 1/2 * (OA + OB)
>

> > A lot of stuff was proven with just points and vectors from points to other
>
> > points (with the fact OX = -XO used heavily).
>

> > What's the name of this geometry? I'm thinking of looking this stuff up
>
> > again.
>

> Other people have mentioned the theoretical _content_, but I think
>
> you're really interested in the _method_. Although some mathematicians
>
> don't have much experience of it, it's an efficient way of handling
>
> mechanics as well as some areas of geometry. I just call it "vector
>
> geometry". Some linear algebra textbooks have a chapter on it.

Can you name one? Thanks

Date Subject Author
8/30/13
Read What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Tanu R.
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
William Elliot
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Peter Percival
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/4/13
[...]
JT
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/9/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Narasimham