Topic: IA / Geo Combo Platter Class
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 5, 2013 12:02 PM

Jonathan Halabi

Re: IA / Geo Combo Platter Class
att1.html (4.9 K)

A couple of thoughts:

They need about 40% of the material, so teaching 60 - 80% should be fine.

The "course" (cough cough) is about 50% algebra, 50% other stuff. Most of
the hard stuff, for kids, is in the algebra portion. I might want to teach
half the algebra and all the other stuff....

Diagnose. I hate that diagnostics are part of the reform package in every
classroom, but you have a special case. I like to give a test where the
answers are 1, 2, 3, and 4.
1 - "I never learned this"
2 - "I learned this, but forgot it"
3 - "I think I know this, but I'm not sure. I might need a hint or reminder"
4 - "I know this. Here's the work and the answer"
(Choices 2 and 3 let them say "I don't know" without making them feel dumb
- it really helps. And Choice 1 implicitly blames someone else)
And because it is low stakes, they might take a short version in class, I
can make sure they get they 1, 2, 3, 4 thing. And then they can do a more
complete one at home.

Time spent shoring up topics that they already know is valuable.

I might pick out what most of them already know, and spend some time
bringing them up to speed. I would let them practice where they are usually
right. I would test them where they are usually right. And then give them a
test where "their questions" are embedded among harder stuff, train them to
find their questions.

And then teach a unit. I might pick statistics. It's fresh, so they don't
need to unlearn bad habits. But for each unit, I'd make the unit small,
break it into halves if I had to, and then add those few questions to the
list of what they know. And again I'd let them practice. Let them take
tests where they get most of the stuff right.

Finally, when I do this sort of thing, I let the kids know exactly what we
are doing, and why.

Jonathan Halabi
the Bronx