Topic: Expecting the Best Yields Results in Massachusetts
Replies: 4   Last Post: Sep 5, 2013 8:19 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Expecting the Best Yields Results in Massachusetts

Wayne Bishop posted Sep 4, 2013 10:36 AM:

> At 09:23 PM 9/3/2013, GS Chandy wrote:
>

> >(GSC): And much of the 'traditionalist' approach has
> >been thoroughly discredited by real life learning that
> >children have shown us.

> (Professor Wayne Bishop): And religious conviction - in
> all of its forms, including denial of
> religious conviction itself - is more powerful than
> objective evidence as you continue to demonstrate.
>
> Wayne

Powerful words indeed from the esteemed and learned Professor Wayne Bishop, who apart from mathematics, professes the famous religious dogma quoted below as THE way to rescue the US education system from the mire and decay into which it has sunk (as he claims).

The world outside the USA generally believes the US higher educational and research systems are still more or less the best in the world - and that these enviable systems are founded, in some measure at least, on the US school system (despite all the deficiencies it must undoubtedly suffer from).

It is indeed true, Professor Bishop, that I have long believed that children do pick up, very naturally, a sizable number of extremely complex skills and capabilities. Check out the attachment, "How a Child Learns", to see my views on the matter, which I've been pondering for years and years.

I have understood that pickaninnies as well as white- and also brown- or yellow- or red-skinned children perform all these wonderful feats of learning and doing, given only the love and support of their parents.

The above proven phenomenon has led me to believe that much of the 'traditionalist form' of teaching, well expressed by the rules "DO THIS! DON'T DO THAT! THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY!" (and so on and so forth) must be defective or deficient in some way and that it does not provide enough space for the natural learning abilities that ALL children do seem to possess.

However, I am always eager to follow THE PATH OF TRUE KNOWLEDGE as you have been propounding it here at Math-teach (and doubtless elsewhere), if only you can provide me any one tiny bit of evidence that the ONE COMMANDMENT of your famous religion, namely,

"BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"

as revealed to you of course by Reid Lyon, Reading Research Expert - whether intended metaphorically, literally or delusionally - will actually serve to rescue the US educational system from the doubtless dire straits it is mired in these days. If you can perform this miracle even in some minute measure, I shall straightaway abandon all my religious beliefs and follow yours forever and always.

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy