Topic: Possible reason(s) for education decline in US?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Sep 7, 2013 10:49 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Possible reason(s) for education decline in US?

I am reminded of one of the smartest man I've
ever known (took his English lit major from an
also-ran 4-year college to a job as a tech writer
for JPL and, within a year, was working
side-by-side as an engineer with several of the
people for whom he was supposedly writing, had
his job classification upgraded to an engineer,
etc.). Anyway, back to the story… We were
talking about my eldest, also very bright, and in
6th grade, in Pasadena Unified's nascent
Bilingual Ed program, the teacher put him
(fluently bilingual) in the front row with a big
sign "Información" hanging on the front of his
desk. Students were instructed to ask Jeff first
allowing the teacher more time to handle less
routine problems. We discussed the great ego
builder as was my friend's elementary school
experiences but he ended with, "I'd have given it all up to hit one home run!"

Wayne