Topic: An optimization problem
Replies: 19   Last Post: Sep 14, 2013 9:44 AM

RGVickson@shaw.ca

Re: An optimization problem

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 12:49:51 PM UTC-7, quasi wrote:
> analyst41 wrote:
>

> >consider f(x1,x2,...xn) = {1 + sum(xi)^2)} / {1 +sum{x(i)}
>

> >0 <=xi <=1 for all i.
>

> >The maximum function value of 1 occurs at either
>
> >all x's = 0 or all x's = 1.
>

> >Can an explicit formula be given for the minimum?
>

> Yes.
>

> The minimum value is
>

> ((2n)*((n+1)-sqrt(n^2+n)))/sqrt(n^2+n)
>

> which occurs when all x's are equal to
>

> (sqrt(n^2+n) - n)/n
>

> quasi

This formula is incorrect: it should be (as in my previous post)
all x = [sqrt(n+1)-1]/n.
This can be verified numerically using an optimization package such as LINGO or the Maple Optimization facility or the EXCEL Solver, etc.