Topic: Is there some kind of mathprice for writing a better sieve then
Eratosthenes

Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 12, 2013 9:43 AM

James Waldby

Re: Is there some kind of mathprice for writing a better sieve then
Eratosthenes

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:03:55 -0700, Zeit Geist wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:19:30 PM UTC-7, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> On 09/10/2013 06:31 PM, David Hartley wrote:
>> > Michael F. Stemper writes

>> > In English English too.
>> Okay, thanks for the info.

>> > Right, Write, Wright and Rite.
>> I believe that we have a winner.
> How about:
>
> Where, wear, we're, ware, wair, and were ( as in werewolf ) .
>
> Ok were is a prefix, but still more.

As noted in other followups, in many idiolects several of those
sound different. I doubt there is any idiolect where they all
sound the same. Note, a related set {ware wear weir where} appears
in <http://www.homophone.com/results.php?how=begin&searchfor=W>.

At <http://www.homophone.com>, the largest three sets shown are
{air aire are ayr ayre ere err eyre heir},
{lase lays laze leas leis leys}, and
{seas sees seize c's cees}.

Possibly c's and cees in the latter set would be disqualified under
Dr Stockton's criterion of "using in each case the recognised best
dictionary of words in current use".

The lists at <http://www.homophone.com> also include perhaps two
dozen 4-entry lists (for example, there are 4-lists for each of
brays, peek, praise, rays, right); quite a few dozens of 3-lists;
and hundreds of 2-lists.

--
jiw