Topic: Is there some kind of mathprice for writing a better sieve then

Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 12, 2013 9:43 AM

James Waldby

Re: Is there some kind of mathprice for writing a better sieve then

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:28:55 +0100, Robin Chapman wrote:

> On 11/09/2013 17:34, James Waldby wrote:

>>> How about:
>>> Where, wear, we're, ware, wair, and were ( as in werewolf ) .
>>> Ok were is a prefix, but still more.

>> As noted in other followups, in many idiolects several of those
>> sound different. I doubt there is any idiolect where they all
>> sound the same. Note, a related set {ware wear weir where} appears
>> in <http://www.homophone.com/results.php?how=begin&searchfor=W>.
>> At <http://www.homophone.com>, the largest three sets shown are
>> {air aire are ayr ayre ere err eyre heir},

> Certainly "air" and "are" aren't homophones.

True, the verb "are" isn't a homophone of "air", but the noun
"are" has two accepted pronunciations, one like the verb "are"
and one like the second syllable of hectare. See eg