Topic: power to a power to a power
Replies: 20   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 1:12 PM

Dan Christensen

Re: power to a power to a power

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:43:22 AM UTC-4, Jean Dubois wrote:
> when a succession of powers like e.g. a^b^c is written
>
> should this be interpreted as:
>
> 1. (a^b)^c
>
> or as
>
> 2. a^(b^c)
>
> Which a logical reason is there to chose one or the other?
>
> and how about the interpretation of:
>
> a^b^c^d
>
> how to interprete this using brackets?

I think most calculators have a^b^c = (a^b)^c. Super-scripting, on the other hand, is really a form of implicit bracketing -- higher levels have higher precedence.

b+c
a = a^(b+c) =/= a^b+c (I hope the spacing isn't messed up!)

Dan