Topic: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Replies: 19   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 9:29 PM

kirby urner

Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
att1.html (5.4 K)

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:14 AM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> (I believe there is another, with more of his original writings, but I
> cannot locate it just now). In any case, I understand that all (or most)
> of Peirce's writings will be available online in due course. As that
> website states:
>
> "Who is the most original and the most versatile intellect that the
> Americas have so far produced? The answer 'Charles S. Peirce' is
> uncontested, because any second would be so far behind as not to be worth
> nominating. [He was] mathematician, astronomer, chemist, geodesist,
> surveyor, cartographer, metrologist, spectroscopist, engineer, inventor;
> psychologist, philologist, lexicographer, historian of science,
> mathematical economist, lifelong student of medicine; book reviewer,
> dramatist, actor, short story writer; phenomenologist, semiotician,
> logician, rhetorician and metaphysician.
> Max H. Fisch in Sebeok, The Play of Musement"
>
> WOW!

Yeah wow! That's quite an accolade. And so reminiscent
of the Bucky Fuller eulogies, other hagiographic retro-
spectives. A Renaissance Man. Like Arthur Loeb (another
contributor to the two-volume Synergetics tome). [0]

I'd say every so often a thinker strikes oil -- with some
immediately thinking "snake oil" -- wherein the thoughts
just come blasting out, often on myriad subjects, as
if from that hole on the Earth BP made (all negative
imagery, sorry).

Maybe negative imagery is appropriate because the
default setting of the original sin switch is "curse", i.e.
a mortal human imbued by the muses in this highly
volatile way is prey to an infinity of aberrations such
as are listed in the DSM. Some of these may be
coped with, but the monsters of the deep (ala 'Cabin
in the Woods', a Joss Whedon semi-parody) will take
one out, knock one out of commission.[1]

I'm just going to need to buckle down and read more
CS Pierce, that's all there is to it. He's been on my
radar for a long time. Thanks for the web links.

Back to Fear versus Longing (the spectrum), Fuller's
view was Malthusian despair over "not enough to
go around" might overtake the "doing more with less"
trend, e.g. Moore's Law on the grander scale of
getting closer to bare principles. As mastery / insight
improves, unnecessary wastefulness is mitigated,
provided optimization is not premature.

In his book 'Critical Path' Fuller talks extensively
about the ongoing project to omnitriangulate the
whole Earth, meaning get it saved in databases
and cross-checked to where satellite photos
might be accurately mosaiced and so on. He
uses his peculiar synergetics-informed polymath
language to discuss this, but between the lines,
and in retrospect, you can see Google Earth in
formation, and/or Microsoft's TerraServer etc. [2]

With our greater technological powers, Fuller
felt it realistic to tip towards Longing over Fear
as populations leveled and even dropped thanks
to dropping infant mortality and women choosing
motherhood less frequently when having more
choices. Electrification of the whole Earth was
associated with these latter trends, and he
charted the spread of electrical grids, especially
intercontinental and/or long distance inter-ties,
what today we call HVDC (high voltage DC
connections). Things are not "running out", we
just need to be smart and humans have shown
some smarts as a species. Fuller was not a
misanthropist. The political action group GENI
continues to promote global electrification and
smart energy solutions. [3]

In some schools, such an effective job is done
by the teachers to persuade junior that the
world ahead is so bleak, so hopeless, that it's
hardly worth lifting a finger to fight back. Were
I the District Superintendent of Schools I'd
want a measure of how "fatalistic" each school
seemed to be, on a scale of one to ten. But of
course nobody knows how to take such measures
or assemble such numbers, which is probably
why I won't have that title on my future resume.

Kirby

[0]
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2013/09/an-introduction-to-synergetics.html

[1] http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0923736/

[2]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa226316%28v=sql.70%29.aspx#msterra_info

[3] http://geni.org

Date Subject Author
9/24/13
Read Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Richard Hake
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Wayne Bishop
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Jonathan Crabtree
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Louis Talman
9/26/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
Wayne Bishop
9/25/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/26/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/27/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/27/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/29/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/29/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/30/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
9/30/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
9/30/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
10/1/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
10/1/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
10/1/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
10/2/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
GS Chandy
10/3/13
Read Re: Why Have K-12 Educators Ignored Benezet's Breakthrough?
kirby urner
10/4/13