Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 26, 2013 11:06 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan
Meyer

At 03:04 PM 9/25/2013, Richard Strausz wrote:
> >The usual trite crap: This is, in fact, the
> exact opposite of how most students experience
> math. Too often, math is an inscrutable recipe
> book, describing foods you’ve never sampled
> (and probably wouldn’t care to). You must
> follow each recipe to the letter, because you
> have no clue how the ingredients taste, or what
> will happen if you combine them in new ways.
> And when you finish cooking, you throw the meal
> in the garbage disposal, and begin again...

> >Wayne
>
>I don't teach in Lake Wobegon; not all of my
>students are above average. Some of them think
>that it is coincidental that the distance
>formula and the Pythagorean Theorem both work to find distances on a grid.

And never will. Or even earlier, that slope of a
non-horizontal, non-vertical line on that grid
has something to do with similar triangles. So
what? That's no excuse for not teaching things
in logical order for those who do and impeding
their progress for the "good" of those student
who never will. The "Math-Teach", the name of
this listserve, really does have meaning along with "mathematics" itself.

Wayne