Topic: Finite Element Analysis ?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 26, 2013 2:32 PM

Derek Goring

Re: Finite Element Analysis ?

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:43:08 PM UTC+12, Manish wrote:
> "Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote in message <l20k26$g43$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>

> > On 9/26/2013 12:54 AM, Manish wrote:
>
> > > I am looking to solve 5 dependent partial differential equations and calculating
>
> > >5 variables in 2 dimensions (1 spatial and 1 time).
>

> > > Please tell me if the procedure I am following is right:
>
> > > 1. Specifying geometry in 1 D.
>
> > > 2. Initial Values
>
> > > 3. Meshing
>
> > > 4. Applying governing equations
>
> > > 5. Applying Boundary Values and solving.
>

> > > Can someone tell me what procedures should I be looking at, to solve the problem ?
>

> > > Regards,
>
> > > Manish
>

> > FEM is normally used to solve elliptic type pde problems,
>
> > so for time dependent problems, you would need different time step
>
> > based integration method, then apply FEM again at the new time step,
>
> > and so on.
>

> > i.e FEM is applied at each time instance, to obtain a solution
>
> > for that time instance, but need separate time-dependent integration
>
> > to go to the next time step, using the state of the last time
>
> > step, and so on. i.e. marching in time step is separate from
>
> > solving using the FEM.
>

> > But I am no expert on this, so I would suggest to use a good
>
> > textbook for these things.
>

> > --Nasser
>
> Dear Nasser,
>

> Thanks for your reply. You are right, FEM will work using numerical techniques.
>
> But how do I do the following in MATLAB:
>
> 1. Specifying geometry in 1 D
>
> 2. Initial Values
>
> 3. Meshing
>
> 4. Applying more than 4 interdependent governing equations
>
> 5. Applying Boundary Values and solving PDEs.

I think you're asking a bit of much of this newsgroup.
I took a year's post-grad course to learn how to do this and you expect us to instruct you in a few lines?
Get a textbook or take a course, then come back here when you have formulated the numerical scheme and have a Matlab coding problem.