Topic: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Replies: 19   Last Post: Oct 22, 2013 5:13 PM

dpb

Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace

On 10/22/2013 9:06 AM, dpb wrote:

>> The interesting point here is '(....)(..)(..)(...)(...)' which allows
>> considering the fixed field width. I wonder why such is not working in
>> textread or textscan directly ?

> Why it doesn't work in textread or textscan directly is because it is a
> completely independent preprocessing step that modifies the input

> ... ask TMW to generalize the above solution to a
> helper mex function that could take the input format of the data and do
> the preprocessing automagically such that textscan and friends can
> process it -- that would be a big step forward albeit still a poor
> substitute for Fortran-like FORMAT i/o. The biggest problem with the
> above is that regexp is notoriously slow; not sure how this particular
> case will perform...

Actually, I don't see why the regexp() folderol...with fixed-width
fields simplest and quickest would be to simply insert the comma in the
appropriate columns w/ strrep() or similar direct manipulation. Looks
like complexity for the sake of showing cleverness???

--

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Derek Goring
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/22/13