Topic: Fmincon applied to multiple variables with different constraints
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 9, 2013 6:55 PM

Alan Weiss

Re: Fmincon applied to multiple variables with different constraints

On 10/9/2013 10:21 AM, Vsh wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on a minimization problem on three different "types" of
> variables of different physical nature. To be more specific, I have
> stiffness tensor subjected to positive, definiteness constraints
> derived from the elastic strain energy. This contains both linear and
> non-linear parts. Secondly, I have density which can be constrained
> (or bounded??) by a value between [0.8,1.6] g/cc. And thirdly i have
> another isotropic elastic moduli that I can specify a reasonable range
> for. I'm not sure how to set up the constrained function or in fact
> the whole minimization problem given the multiple variable spaced
> involved in this. Any help or references would greatly be appreciated.
> Thanks.

Generally speaking, fmincon takes a single vector x as the unknowns. If
you have a stiffness tensor T, a density p, and elastic modulii m, then take
What I mean is, turn your various matrices or tensors into column
vectors with the (:) notation, and concatenate them to be a single
vector of unknowns x. After you get your solution, you can disentangle
the pieces by taking various ranges of x.

To give bounds for some, but not all components of x, take a look at the
documentation of bounds:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/optim/ug/writing-constraints.html#brhkghv-13

Alan Weiss