Topic: AP Calculus Question
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 12:12 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: AP Calculus Question
att1.html (2.9 K)

Hi Luisa-
I think the algebra II common core course is going to be extremely difficult and if a student can get through it with a certain level of achievement, they just might be ready for calculus. You make a great point about the trig, though, with the common core. That would pose a problem...maybe they could take a semester trig course concurrent with calc(?)
The thing that common core, in theory, will prepare future ap calc students for is the thinking, reasoning, and not constantly thinking that there are set "steps" for every problem, but rather a mindset of reading, analyzing, and problem solving. This theory would work if we started common core in kindergarten and phased it in from there on up.
The kids who are starting in 8th grade this year as accelerated students are probably not going to be the best calc students I ever have when they are seniors thanks to the non-phase-in.
Liz

Elizabeth Waite
AMTNYS Coordinator of Reps