Topic: AP Calculus Question
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 12:12 PM

bill wickes

RE: AP Calculus Question
att1.html (4.2 K)

Join the club..people must not understand what PRE means.we do the same
thing skip precalculus and the we are asked why everyone in AP gets a 1.Bill

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org]
On Behalf Of luisahaw@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:07 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: AP Calculus Question

Hi. I know many of you are busy and overwhelmed with the Common Core so I
do appreciate input or advice.

I was wondering under what circumstances do other NY schools allow students
to take Algebra 2 Trig , skip a Pre Calculus course, and take AP Calculus
either as a junior or senior? My school offers 2 different Pre Calculus ( I
teach the IB one) course so there is a math course students can take that
really prepares students for advanced algebra and allow them to take AP Calc
in their senior year. There seems to be a debate at my school and, as a pre
calculus teacher, I am on the loosing end of it . I tend to worry often,
but with the Common Core, won't their be gaps in concepts (such as
Trigonometry) to prepare students for the rigor of Calculus. Thanks for
your input!

Luisa Duerr

Binghamton High School

an IB Diploma School