Topic: AP Calculus Question
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 12:12 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: AP Calculus Question
att1.html (4.4 K)

Not everyone who skips precalculus gets a 1. I had 2 students last year who took precalc concurrently with ap calc (had easy high grades in precalc all year) and got 5s on the ap exam (one was a junior, one was a senior). I should note that one of the 2 was not recommended to do so by previous math teachers, but seeing a challenge worked extremely hard to the point where I had no doubt he was going to earn a 5 going into the exam.
My own child also took calc and precalc concurrently as a junior - no problem.
Would they have had the same results had they completely skipped precalc? I think they would have because by the time they got to topics that might have helped their calc in precalc, they were "old news".
So....it is definitely possible for students to succeed by skipping precalc...it is just probably kind of rare.

Liz

Elizabeth Waite
AMTNYS Coordinator of Reps