Topic: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 18, 2013 4:42 AM

George Woodrow III

Re: Version 9 Trial contaminates Version 8 running paid

Hi --

There is a file installed by Mathematica (on the mac it is inside a
folder called Library) called mathpass. You could search for it.

You can open it with a text editor.

Each time that you install a version of Mathematica, a new license or
activation code is written to the file. This file is shared by all
versions of mathematica on your system.

When Mathematica starts up, it looks for a valid activation. It uses the
first one it sees.

Theoretically, when your trial license for version 9 expires,
Mathematica 8 will search and find your valid license for version 8.

I have a similar problem -- being a beta tester for Mathematica 10. When
I crank up Mathematica 9, it is using the activation for v 10.

If you are concerned, you can edit mathpass to get rid of the trial
activation. I believe that you could simply delete mathpass and when you
start up version 8 again, simply reactivate it.

If you look at the Wolfram documentation for resetting Mathematica, it
suggests that as a last resort, you can deleter the Mathematica folders
in the two Library folders (the computer wide one and the user-specific
one). Details vary by system. I had an issue recently where I had to do
this, and when I restarted Mathematica 9, I had to re-activate, but it
worked.

It should be possible to simply delete mathpass.

Check with customer service.

george

On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:11 AM, E. Martin-Serrano <eMartinSerrano@telefonica.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now, I have realized that the notebooks created and running under the V8
> paid version also display the legend Wolfram Mathematica - PRODUCT
> TRIAL .
>
> So it is not only the Welcome Screen what has been contaminated by the
> trial V9 version.

even
> after the trial V9 has been uninstalled). Besides, after finishing the
> uninstallation, Windows8 warned it could not uninstall the whole
> Mathematica V9 trial stuff so that I ought to move manually the trial V9
> kernel to the recycle bin.
>
> I hope someone could provide some clue about what is going on before the my
> current 26 days v8 trial period is over
>
> Regards
>
> E. Martin-Serrano

> solely
> for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in
> error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its =
> integrity
> cannot be secured on the Internet, no sender=92s liability can be =
> triggered
> for the message content. Although the sender endeavors to maintain a
> computer virus-free network, he/she does not warrant that this =
> transmission
> is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from =

any
> virus transmitted.
>
> Este mensaje y los ficheros adjuntos pueden contener informaci=F3n
> confidencial destinada solamente a la(s) persona(s) mencionadas
> anteriormente y su contenido puede estar protegido por secreto =
> profesional y
> en cualquier caso el mensaje en su totalidad est=E1 amparado y =
> protegido por
> la legislaci=F3n vigente que preserva el secreto de las =

comunicaciones, =
> y por
> la legislaci=F3n de protecci=F3n de datos de car=E1cter =

personal. Si =
> usted recibe
> este correo electr=F3nico por error, gracias por informar =
> inmediatamente al
> remitente y destruir el mensaje. Al no estar asegurada la integridad =

de =
> este
> mensaje sobre la red, el remitente no se hace responsable por su =
> contenido.
> Su contenido no constituye ning=FAn compromiso para el remitente, =

salvo
> ratificaci=F3n escrita por ambas partes. Aunque se esfuerza al =
m=E1ximo =
> por
> mantener su red libre de virus, el emisor no puede garantizar nada al
> respecto y no ser=E1 responsable de cualesquiera da=F1os que =

puedan =