Topic: Fitting Pearson Type 3 CDF in MATLAB
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 11, 2013 10:27 AM

Peter Perkins

Re: Fitting Pearson Type 3 CDF in MATLAB

Normally one would fit a distribution in the Pearson systme by moments,
so using MEAN, STD, SKEWNESS, and KURTOSIS (the latter two in the
Statistics Toolbox) can be used to do this.

The Pearson Type III is a simple transformation of the gamma
distrinution, and the PEARSRND function can be used to find the
coefficients. Then look at the code in PEARSRND to get the actual
transformation that you'd use along with GAMCDF to compute values from
the Pearson Type III CDF.

This all assumes you want to fit a distribution to univariate data, not
fit a regression curve to bivariate data.