Topic: what has your CAS to say about this complex equality
Replies: 9   Last Post: Oct 17, 2013 12:03 PM

A N Niel

Re: what has your CAS to say about this complex equality

In article <l3ndg8$g8u$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Nasser M. Abbasi
<nma@12000.org> wrote:

> On 10/16/2013 11:19 AM, A N Niel wrote:
> > In article <l3hv8e$nib$1@speranza.aioe.org>, Nasser M. Abbasi
>

> > Well, Abs has no special meaning in Maple. The known function is abs.
> >

> opps, thanks. I do not use Maple much actually, and I had my Mathematica
> hat on at the time :) where system functions start with UpperCase. But I
> should have checked.
>
> ok, here is the solve result, for whatever it is worth:
>
> -------------------------------------
> eq:=abs(a^2*abs(b - a)^2 + abs(a)^2*(b^2 - a^2))=
> abs(a)*abs(b - a)*(abs(a)^2 + abs(b)^2 - abs(b - a)^2);
> solve(eq,{a,b});
> ------------------------
> {a = a, b = 0}, {0 < a, 0 < b, b < a}, {b = a, 0 < a},
>
> {0 < a, a < b}, {a = 0, b < 0}, {a < 0, b < a},
>
> {a < 0, a < b, b < 0}, {a = 0, 0 < b}, {b = a, a < 0}

With inequalities like that, we must be getting the real solutions.

> ps. it seems Maple functions and packages are written by different
> people since some start with lower case, and some start with UpperCase
> and some are mixed cases.

When possible, use actual mathematician's notation, like sin(x) or
Re(x). Sometimes explain further, like BesselJ or LambertW. Sometimes
there is an old notation like matrix that is kept for compatibility,
when a new notation like Matrix is introduced.