Topic: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Replies: 30   Last Post: Nov 5, 2013 1:45 PM

Jennifer Griffin

Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?

I also have struggled with teaching the struggling students. Last week I went on to engageny and went through all of the modules from all grades. Something's I found were quite interesting. Like using a letter for an unknown begins in third grade. I now realize why it has been so tough for these struggling students. Using these modules in algebra assumes they have been solving word problems since first grade and explaining their answers since second. I will continue to do my best but I am no looking at this a new way. I will need to continue to examine the elementary modules and include those skills in our daily work. I now understand why there was only one day allotted for word problems. Problems like those in Lesson 25 should be more natural if students truly did the modules of each of the previous levels. So while I struggle with bringing the struggling students up to this level I am realizing that this is more than they have been asked to do before. Hopefully we!
will all find our balance soon in this transition year.

Jenn Griffin
Pine Plains Central School District

> On Nov 4, 2013, at 10:18 PM, "dfothergill@wvcsd.org" <dfothergill@wvcsd.org> wrote:
>
> I am teaching Algebra I to students who have historically struggled in mathematics. I have students with IEP's, failures from 9th grade and students who failed 8th grade mathematics. They are an awesome group of kids who are trying; however, the modules are over their heads. These are kids who struggle with fractions and signed numbers. The modules do not take into account students who struggle. I have been using a Pearson textbook and a Holt workbook as my guide. However, I check the module for questions for my students to try and so many are just way over their head. So sad... I am not against common core, but I am against the modules and the implementation. The modules are choppy and they do not allow for practice, nor do they take into account various academic levels. The implementation was not thought out and both the teachers and students will be affected. In my 17 years of teaching I have never felt so defeated. I have never felt so lost. But I go in every day and !

sm!

> ile and I make the best of it for my kids sake. I am finding my own way and while I am not sure how my kids will fair, I can sleep at night knowing I am doing the best I can for my students with little direction from the State. Again, if the modules are the end all be all, then there will be a lot of teachers on TIPS next year and a lot of kids needing AIS:( There is not enough time to follow those modules as designed. Lesson 25 has word problems that each need a day. Yet, according to the module, all lessons are 1 day? See what I mean? Defeated...

> *
*

Date Subject Author
10/22/13
Read Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/22/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jessica Walter
10/23/13
Read Re: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
ElizWaite@aol.com
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Math4you
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jeff Richards
10/23/13
Read Re: RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
Jamie D
10/23/13
Read RE: Algebra 1 - How is it going?
GPJ