Topic: For old timers, was there math mailing lists newsletter discussion
groups in the late 70's?

Replies: 4   Last Post: Nov 3, 2013 8:36 AM

G. A. Edgar

Re: For old timers, was there math mailing lists newsletter discussion groups in the late 70's?

In article <c1d9ab65-0614-499f-b363-814452c8e13f@googlegroups.com>,
<jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some memory of that our library had either a terminal or
> microcomputer, this must been pre BBS era, it came with the automated loaning
> and return scanning of boooks?
>
> And there was discussion and communication around various subjects run in
> threads, but was it newgroups, mailing lists or discussion groups?
>
> So was there people administrating those lists, and could anyone post to them?
> I am thinking now sitting sometimes being battered in programming newsgroups
> because i do not follow the nettiquete, i just realised that in these times
> things really did need to be tidy, because little or no automation were
> possible at least not at individual level for most.
>
> But how did you find the discussion group you wanted to participate in, was
> there an overhead letter sent out with a list of discussion/newsgroups to
> follow?
> So could anyone refresh me of how thing worked during these times.
>
> I have a couple of names here, could any of them been maintainers of such
> lists?
> Phil Katz, Ward Christensen, Abraham Lempel, Jacob Ziv and Terry Welch?
>
> I also have some memories about that one could read about NASA project, and
> quite possible something a mailing list about Voyager and solar studies. It
> may have been Richard C Hoagland handling it.
>
> It is very vague, so was there math discussion lists one could sign upto?

Here is an example:
http://www.maa.org/description-of-the-history-of-mathematics-e-mail-list
this one was housed by the MAA; it says there are archives available.

See an old listing here http://archives.math.utk.edu/news.html ... or
here http://www.mathontheweb.org/mathweb/mi-listserv.html As you can
see, some of the lists were housed by the AMS.

I belonged to the Real Analysis listserve, run by Lee Larson. Maybe it
still exists, but I have not received anything from it for years.

I guess an email discussion lists that is still active is FOM
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/mailman/listinfo/fom/

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/